"I can't move my fingers anymore. I can't even feel pain. My hand is worthless!
I won't be able to use my hand again. It would take a miracle or some kind of magic to heal me." - Kyousuke Kamijou, Episode 4.
|名字(日语)||上条 恭介 （Kamijou Kyousuke）|
English: Marianne Miller
Italian: Renato Novara
Spanish: Cesc Martínez
- 日文 | 上条恭介（かみじょう きょうすけ／Kamijou Kyousuke）
- 中译 | 上条恭介
- 昵称 | 渣条、左手哥、把妹手
- Ume Aoki explains in the BD/DVD episode 2 audio commentary that Kyousuke's hair is gray. Like many characters, his hair and eye color match each other.
- Some design documents indicate that he is a guitarist in another timeline, although this is shown in neither anime nor manga versions. There has been various speculation about the possible reasons for the change.
- In the online freemium game, Kyousuke is a guitarist, and the witch's barrier is the disco-like version seen in episode 10.
- Eri Kitamura explains in an interview that even if Kyousuke and Sayaka started dating, it wont necessarily be true happiness for Sayaka, "Real happiness isn't limited to clinging to Kyousuke."
- In the Madoka PSP game, Kyousuke falls into despair and tries to commit suicide, because he knows he will never be able to play the violin anymore. According to Kyubey, Kyousuke has the characteristics of an artist who feels worthless as he has lost his artistic talent.
- In The Rebellion Story Kyosuke is still in a relationship with Hitomi, although his music practice is causing difficulties in their relationship. Template:Spoiler
Speculations and Observations
- Kamijou has been confirmed as Sayaka's crush, and is her childhood friend. How she met Kamijou is unknown, but perhaps she has only been able to spend more time with him after his injury. She bought the disc for Kamijou.
- Kamijou was a famous violinist that Sayaka admires. However, for some reason, he had to be hospitalized and couldn't play the violin anymore. Upon getting her wish, Sayaka then feels guilty to be so lucky and thinks about him and his misfortune.
- In Episode 3, Mami warns Sayaka that there is a difference between wanting to grant another's wish, and wanting to be the person to grant another's wish. This is possibly foreshadowing to negative consequences that will happen if Sayaka makes her wish to help Kamijou regain his health. It ended up playing into the events that lead to Sayaka becoming a witch: Kamijou, once he is healed, presumably begins a relationship with Hitomi because she openly showed her feelings to him, which breaks Sayaka who felt that she wouldn't be able to do so due to her Magical Girl condition.
- Japanese spelling of Kamijou was initially 上條. But in the ending credits of episode 7 and after, it was changed to 上条. Both are common Japanese surnames with the same pronunciation and similar meaning, so that it doesn't seem to have any importance for the story. The change was also made in AT-X version of episode 4.
Kamijou's Feeling Towards Sayaka
An article indicates that that from the very beginning Kamijou only considered Sayaka as his close friend and never had any romantic feelings for her. He never considered her to be a potential lover, and it is for this reason that he failed to notify Sayaka when he was discharged from the hospital. He was in such a hurry to get back to his normal life that he never had any thoughts of anything else. When Kyousuke goes back to school, he is already surrounded by other girls and friends, which is why he didn't say anything to Sayaka. He was already overwhelmed by a welcoming crowd. It never occurred to him that there could be something special between him and Sayaka.
Gen Urobuchi's comment on Kyousuke in Guidebook:
- I just do not feel that even if she hooked up with Kyosuke that girl would really be happy ever after. Most likely Kyosuke is a guy who will stand her up in dates and go to practice the violin.
- Kyosuke, a man who could not notice that "Hm? this girl seems to have some feeling for me..." even after so much self-sacrifice from her is simply no good.
There's no explanation regarding Kamijou's feeling towards Hitomi before she tells him.
- Episode 1: Madoka guesses that he is the reason Sayaka wants to go to the CD store.
- Episode 2: He is shown bedridden in the hospital when Sayaka comments that there must be many who would trade their lives for a wish and that life has been too easy for her.
- Episode 3: Sayaka visits him in the hospital twice. At the start of the episode, Sayaka gives Kamijou a CD by David Ostriakh, and they share his headphones and listen to Rachmaninoff's "Vocalise" together. Kamijou fingers the notes as he listens and then he cries. Later, Sayaka tries to visit him but is turned away; the explanation given by Kamijou's family is that he isn't in good shape. Madoka and Sayaka then find a Grief seed embedded outside the hospital.
- Episode 4: Sayaka visits him in the hospital and tries to talk with him about music, but he accuses her of mocking his inability to play the violin anymore. He reveals that the current state of medicine is incapable of healing his left hand, saying that it would take a miracle or magic for him to play again. It is revealed at the end of the episode that Sayaka used her wish to heal his left hand, in exchange becoming a magical girl for Kyubey.
- Episode 5: Kamijou regains the ability to play the violin after Sayaka's wish repairs his hand. She claims it to be the "happiest moment of her life"
- Episode 6: Sayaka goes to visit him at the hospital, but is informed that he was discharged and didn't inform Sayaka. She goes to visit him at his house and she hears him practicing his violin. She is about to enter when she is confronted by Kyouko who criticizes her for making a selfless wish for his sake and speculate that she should've crippled him futher (unbeknownst to everyone yet, Kyouko did make a selfless wish herself, but it only brought tragedy).
- Episode 7: Kamijou returns to school, but still needs crutches.
- Episode 8: Hitomi speaks to Kamijou. It's still not known what she exactly told him.
In the manga version of Episode 8, however, it does look like Kyousuke accepts Hitomi's feelings as they're seen holding each other's hands.
- Episode 11: Kamijo can be seen at Sayaka's funeral, with Hitomi clinging to him. Their faces are severely silhouetted over, but the shape and style of both Kamijo's and Hitomi's hair is unmistakable.
- Episode 12: Kyousuke briefly appears while Sayaka and Madoka's souls watch over him (and Hitomi waits for him at the side) as he performs during an audition. As he plays Gounod's Ave Maria, Sayaka and Madoka talk things over one last time, and are able to pass on. Later, Kamijou performs as a professional, and once he finishes his recital he whispers Sayaka's name.
In the PSP game the player would be able to get some glimpses regarding Kamijou and perceive some of his feelings toward Sayaka. These observations, however, are not accurate enough to gauge what are Kamijou's exact feelings for Sayaka:
- When Kyousuke tried to contact Sayaka about him getting out of the hospital but he is unable to reach her. Sayaka is too preoccupied with being a Magical Girl and trying to get overcome the fact that her magical power are too weak.
- When Kyousuke is discharged, he invites Sayaka to walk together with him to school, and then walk back home together. Unfortunately, Sayaka is too preoccupied with her own concern and duties.
- When Kyosuke asks Sayaka to go to the CD store together, Sayaka declines Kyosuke's offer as Sayaka senses the appearance of a familiar nearby.
- When Kyosuke goes to Sayaka's house, he is trying to deliver her a CD of a song he dedicated to her. He is horrified when he observes Sayaka's rotten body.
In the PSP game, it is possible to determine that Sayaka did not put enough effort to win Kyousuke's heart after contracting. Whenever the opportunity presented itself, Sayaka became neglectful to take advantage of it. In fact, Sayaka's concerns, worries, and responsibilities as a Magical Girl were a hindrance to maintain a relationship with Kyousuke.
During the gag bonus scenario, Homura asks his thoughts for Sayaka. He says that she has been into superhero figures since her childhood and thinks he wouldn't be her type. He is embarrassed to say his feelings for her. When they start dating, Sayaka reveals herself to be magical girl in front of him by transforming. Kyosuke is amazed and impressed by her secret identity, but he feels guilty knowing that she used her sole wish for him. His enthusiasm for her magical girl duties prevents Sayaka from falling into despair like other timelines.
- Sayaka and Silver-Haired Boy.jpg
- Apricot +5.jpg
Ume Madoka doujin "RKGKMDK" from COMIC1☆5, under Apricot+ alias
- Madoka BD2 Ume 4koma TL.png
Ume Aoki's 4koma from the Madoka BD 2 fanbook
- Kyousuke's feeling.jpg
Article that explain about Kamijou's feeling towards Sayaka.
- BD OP Kyousuke hair color.jpg
Corrected hair color in the BD/DVD from the broadcast version, to show clearly as gray
- Kamijou in the hospital.gif
Kamijou in the hospital
- Kamijou playing the violin.gif
Young Kamijou playing the violin
- Kamijou on hospital roof.gif
Kamijou playing the violin on hospital roof
- E4 sayaka kyousuke.jpg
- Picture 12.png
A moment between Kyousuke and Sayaka from the PSP game.
- Madoka Portable Kyousuke Suicide.jpg
Sayaka stops Kyousuke from committing suicide in the PSP game.
- Oh U.png
How the Yurifans reacted when they saw Kamijou for the first time. The hate still lingers.
- Kyousuke's hand.jpg
Everyone has a dark side, even Kamijou.
- Sayaka Kamijou genderbender.png
- Gender bender female hitomi.jpg
- Female kyousuke photoshop.jpg